Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Rosemary-Chili Roasted Almonds: DIY Gift or Everyday Snack!

Packing for trips--even if I'm headed some place wonderful--is quite daunting for me. There's something overwhelming about needing to pack everything I'll use for a few days or a week at a time. In a teeny-tiny duffle bag or carry-on suitcase. What if I miss something? What if I pack all of my cutest dresses and it's unbearably cold and I have to wear all of them at one time, because I didn't pack well? These are thoughts that come to mind, as I sort through my leggings, coats, dresses, hair supplies and various other feminine essentials. I'm trying to figure out exactly what I "need" so that none of the space is wasted in my one bag. Ken and I are headed to Spokane this afternoon, en route to my cousin and his wife's home, where we'll spend Thanksgiving. I'm so excited for the quality time with one of my closest childhood friends and his sweet wife, who I love getting to know better each trip. On their last trip to visit us in Seattle, my cousin's wife introduced me to roasted rosemary almonds. It was love at first bite. I found a recipe similar to hers and have included it below. Well, back to packing I go. I'm thankful that I took a mid-morning break to make these tasty almonds to bring on our 5+ hour drive. Toasted almonds make a great snack or DIY gift to share with friends--especially in this season of giving! Enjoy!

Roasted Rosemary-Chili Almonds

Adapted from Ivy Manning's Cooking Light recipe

Ingredients:
1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
Dash of ground red pepper
1 (10-ounce) bag whole almonds (about 2 cups)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl; toss to coat. Arrange nut mixture in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with foil. Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly toasted. Cool to room temperature.



2 comments:

  1. Yay! I made some cinnamon and sugar ones recently too; they'll be here when you get here. :) We can't wait to see you guys tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wait until you have to pack for 5 people.... not just yourself. It takes me FOREVER! But, after all the packing and unpacking and repacking I've done, I think I've begun to figure it out. :)

    ReplyDelete