Thursday, January 17, 2013

A Bowl of Vegetable Soup: Today's Journal Entry

Steam rises from the glossy red ceramic dish that holds my hearty vegetable soup. My lips immediately register the warmth of the liquid. Delighted by the savory flavor, my tongue picks up the distinguishing flavor of each vegetable—mushrooms, carrots, green beans, onions, celery. Their unique flavors are rich, unencumbered by the addition of salts and spices. A few bites later, I decide on a sprinkle of salt and pepper, but this soup is perfect in its simplicity. No added meat, no pasta, no exotic flavors. This moment with my soup reminds me to step back from an already-hectic day and relax. To take each day one step at a time, and perhaps one moment at a time. To revel in the simpler things.

This morning I found myself becoming increasingly frustrated. I shed not just a few tears on account of conflict I’m facing—internally and externally. On days like this, I’m more sensitive to God’s calling on my life to be a person who is honest, vulnerable and open about my weaknesses. Not to hide behind the false illusion that “I have it all together just fine”. I don’t. I’m a broken person, in need of a Savior. I’d be wrong if I said otherwise. In the midst of this proclamation, I am thankful that God came to redeem me, to save me, to show me life in its most abundant form. That’s my prayer this morning, that God would open my eyes to His abundance in this season.

These past couple weeks I’ve felt scared, triggered by my past, and uncertain about the future. In the next six months, Ken and I face huge decisions about where we’ll live and what job he’ll work. Our discussions center on the importance of calling, community, Christ’s freedom and personal desires. As of January 17th, we are more uncertain about where we’ll be living than we have been up to this point. Will we stay here in Seattle? Will we move to California—if so, where? Should we move near family—if so, who? What is God calling us to? I suppose these “bigger” questions are often overshadowed by the one question of where Ken will get hired. Work opportunities could dictate most everything. So where is God in all this? Honestly, I don’t hear His voice weighing in on the discussion. I wonder if this season will be like a story from the book of Joshua, where we wrestle with God and live in the tension of the unknown, persevering in faith for the hope of His blessing.

God, we want your blessing, and we’ll wait for it.

In the meantime, please keep my eyes fixed on You, especially on days like this, where I feel bombarded by difficult people, uncomfortable situations and my own desire to know what’s going to happen next…

Remind me, Lord, to breathe deeply and chew slowly, savoring each moment for what it’s worth.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet Maile, I love and miss you. Wish we had more times to be together supporting and lifting each other up. I know this time is difficult. Waiting and not knowing and feeling adrift is painful. I don't want to dismiss this pain and difficult journey. It is part of the maturing our faith process, but I want affirm that while you may feel adrift, God has you in his perfect current, leading you all in just the right direction.

    How do I know? Because I've been in that current, and it has its incredibly challenging and scary moments that feel like you will be swallowed completely by one wave of the ocean. And then there are those much needed moments of peace when the breeze is just right and all feels well with the world.

    I can honestly say that I had everything planned out. I was going to follow God and be a missionary oversees. I married Eric. We started following this dream, this calling. It went much, much slower than what I expected. I thought we were called to Paris, then to Germany. We even had a job description waiting for us when we met all of the requirements. And then it all came to an abrupt stop. The path completely changed.

    I have wondered if it was our sin that caused this change and God's redemption of his plan. Or if this was His plan all a long. I can tell you that if He had laid it out, including all the heartaches (both ours from mistakes and from journeying with others who are also broken), I would have said, "NO WAY!"

    Thankfully, He didn't show me, and as I look back over where He has taken us, I thank Him daily for the journey. Look at what God has accomplished; not us in any way shape or form. I try to not dread the next storm and to savor the moments like you talk about above, and I have definitely given up trying to figure out where we are going. I think I can do that because I can look back and know that all my planning was to no avail. I couldn't see at all His plans, and I definitely wouldn't have chosen them if He has let me. Certainly you can't just wait for that email laying it all out, but you can trust that He will direct your path in just the right time. Be faithful and obedient in the moments He has for you right now. Savor your salvation, and wait for the next breeze. It always comes. The world is round for a reason. :)

    Love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete