Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Tuesday Morning Frittata!

This morning, I woke up a little before Ken and decided to try out one of the recipes my mother-in-law mailed us yesterday. (Thanks, Lmom!) Since I didn't have the bulk of the ingredients the recipe called for, I instead used whatever I found in the fridge. I'm sure you can do the same, or feel free to try my version below. This was my first go at making frittata and it was incredibly tasty and flavorful. You can scale down the ingredients, depending on how many servings you'd like to make. This recipe easily makes 5-6 servings.

A Tuesday Frittata

Ingredients:
1 tbsp. butter
1 medium bell pepper, diced (I used an orange colored one; red, green, yellow or orange is fine)
2 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
2 c. fresh spinach, chopped
5-6 large eggs (I prefer free-range, grain-fed eggs)
1 c. shredded sharp white cheddar cheese (you can also use fontina)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 c. shredded pork (already cooked) or ham, sausage or other breakfast-type meat (*Note: I had some leftover shredded pulled pork in the fridge, so I used that. If you have bacon or another meat that is uncooked, cook it in a separate pan prior to adding into the frittata mixture.)

1/4 c. Parmesan cheese, grated

Directions:
Preheat broiler.

Melt butter in heavy caste iron or other broiler-proof nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add bell pepper and saute a few minutes, until tender. Add tomatoes and spinach. Reduce heat to low-medium. Cook until spinach is lightly wilted.

Meanwhile, mix eggs, 3/4 c. cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper in medium bowl. Add egg mixture to skillet, pouring over entire pan, encasing the vegetables. Sprinkle cooked meat across the egg mixture in the pan. Cook until the egg mixture is almost set and small bubbles form on the top, about 3-4 minutes.

Remove skillet from heat and sprinkle the remaining 1/4 c. cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese over the top. Then, place the frittata in the oven and broil until it puffs up and cheese begins to turn golden, about 3-4 minutes.

Cut into wedges and serve alongside fresh fruit and toast. (We had a slice of my caramelized onion bread with the frittata this morning. I will post that recipe separately.) Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment