Monday, January 14, 2013

Quiche: Yet Another Amazing European Invention!

This weekend, Ken and I had the privilege of hosting a few of our friends for a Brunch/Lunch Get-Together. As you may know, I love cooking for others! It's especially exciting when I get to tackle new recipes. Last week I became fascinated with the idea of making quiche. I've noticed this egg dish featured at coffee shops all around Seattle and never think to order it for myself. I'm still not sure when I tasted quiche for the first time, but I know I've enjoyed it at least a handful of times during my life. So, with a desire to relive the rich, satisfying taste of quiche, I embarked on a journey to find the best recipe. Quiche proved perfect for our group of four guys and two girls, a hearty dish for a cold winter day.

Quiche, in my opinion, is best served at room temperature but you can eat it hot out of the oven or cold. Enjoy!

Best Ever Quiche                                              

Serves 4-6
Adapted from Allrecipes.com

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, minced
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 cups fresh broccoli
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
1 1/2- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
4 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/2 lb breakfast sausage, cooked, drained and chopped (optional; may use bacon or turkey bacon instead)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Over medium-low heat, melt butter in large saucepan. Add onions, garlic and broccoli. Cook slowly, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are soft. Spoon vegetables into crust and sprinkle with cheese.

Meanwhile, brown the mushrooms in a skillet. Spoon into the crust.

Combine eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in melted butter. Pour egg mixture over vegetables and cheese. Add in breakfast sausage or bacon.

Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until center is set. Serve at room temperature. Enjoy!

Note: I doubled this recipe and made one quiche with sausage and one with bacon. Mmmm...



No comments:

Post a Comment