Saturday, October 19, 2013

Pumpkin Spice Chai Tea Cookies!


Fall Greetings friends! As a cool, crisp Autumn wind blows swiftly through the Willow and Poplar trees outside, I'm warm in our kitchen, busily preparing my next batch of seasonal cookies. The fragrant smell of ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg, combined with a savory note of pumpkin, provides a cozy backdrop as I take in the ever-changing landscape outside.

I wanted to share a recipe I crafted a couple days ago, which is now my new favorite fall treat: Pumpkin Spice Chai Tea Cookies! Imagine the perfect matrimony between pumpkin pie and gingerbread--well, chai tea gingerbread. Mmm! I got the idea for these cookies as I thought back to some of the tasty treats I received from a friend a couple years ago at Christmas-time. She mailed me a box of chai tea cookies, which seemed incredibly exotic. I had never heard of chai tea cookies although I had been fond of chai tea lattes for quite a while. Thanks again, my dear! You know who you are...Also, since another dear friend recently gifted me with a care package full of seasonal delights from Trader Joe's (insert huge smile), I decided it was time to figure out how to prepare cookies that adequately reflect my love for all things fall.

Pumpkin Spice Chai Tea Cookies
I hope you enjoy these as much as I do! A word of wisdom: consider doubling the batch so that you can share them with others or you may want to lock yourself away in your home for a few days while the delightful smell of seasonal spices beckons neighbors and passer-biers to your doorstep. They're that good!

Pumpkin Spice Chai Tea Cookie Recipe
Makes about 2 dozen cookies

Ingredients:

1 cup butter
3/4 cups packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 scoopful (which is 3 tablespoons) of Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Spice Chai Tea Latte Mix
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

Directions
1.     Cream butter and brown sugar.
2.     Add vanilla extract and Pumpkin Spice Chai Tea Latte Mix. (Note: If you prefer a stronger chai flavor, you can add up to 5 tablespoons of spice mix.)
3.     Mix well, until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
4.     Separate dough into two balls on cling wrap or waxed paper. Then shape each dough ball into a log and tightly wrap each log in its cling wrap. Refrigerate for an hour.
5.     Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (165 degrees C).
6.     Remove cookie dough logs from the fridge and unwrap them. Then, using a sharp knife, cut 1/2-inch rectangular strips from each log. Prick each cookie with a fork and then place on ungreased baking sheets.

7.     Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden brown. Transfer cookies to wire racks for cooling. 



2 comments:

  1. Hi Mrs.C!
    Any ideas as to using actual tea (possibly steeped) for flavor? I'd love to share this lovely recipe with my customers :)
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah! Thank you for your sweet note! Have you tried using 1 tablespoon of ground chai tea and then 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice? I believe that you could sub that out for the "Pumpkin Spice Chai Tea Mix" I used in my recipe. Please let me know if that works for you. I have also read other recipes using chai tea online and you could possibly steep 3 tea bags in 1/4 cup boiling water for 5-7 minutes and perhaps incorporate up to 1/4 c. more flour to balance out the liquid addition.

    Please let me know if either of those options works for you! :)

    ReplyDelete