Monday, June 25, 2012

Dutch Puff with Apple & Pear

Yesterday, Ken and I ate lunch with dear friends of ours and noticed their beautiful cast iron skillet cookbook, aptly named "The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook" by Sharon Kramis & Julie Kramis Hearne. The bright green background paired with the sumptuous looking apple upside-down cake on the cover, immediately grabbed my attention. I want to make that, I thought to myself. It looked amazing. Our friends generously agreed to lend us their cookbook and this morning I decided to try it out.

When I visited Ken's family in Alaska for the first time three years ago, he made me my very first "Dutch Puff." And I've had fond memories of that shared breakfast every since. So, when I saw a basic recipe for a Dutch Puff in this cookbook, I had to indulge. Also, since I couldn't get that apple upside-down cake on the cover out of mind, I decided to alter the recipe to include sauteed apples and a fresh pear. I hope you will try my rendition of a Dutch Puff. Enjoy!

Dutch Puff, with Apple & Pear

Adapted from "The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook"
Makes 3+ servings

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons butter
1 large apple, sliced
1 large pear, any variety, sliced
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole wheat or all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk

Topping (optional):
3 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar or brown sugar
Juice of 1/2 lemon

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 425-degrees. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a 9 to 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add apple slices and saute for 3-5 minutes, until lightly browned. (Reserve the pear; it is not sauteed.) Transfer apple slices to bowl once browned.

In a separate medium size bowl, mix the eggs, vanilla, milk and flour until just blended (about 5-10 seconds with a stand-up mixer or by hand.) Set aside.

Melt 2 tablespoons butter on the cast iron skillet. Once butter is melted, turn off burner and remove skillet from heat. Pour the batter into the skillet and arrange the apple and pear slices around the pan, alternating each fruit as you lay down the pieces onto the batter.

Place the skillet in the oven and bake until the top puffs up and is lightly golden, about 20-25 minutes. Watch closely after 20 minutes, so as not to over bake.

When the dutch puff is done, drizzle butter over the top, then sprinkle with lemon juice and dust with powdered or brown sugar. Cut into wedges and serve immediately.

Feel free to add any other favorite topping, such as toasted walnuts, yogurt or whipped cream.

Note: I prefer to use whole wheat flour and whole milk in the batter, along with a very ripe pear. My finished product was superb because of these ingredients. 




No comments:

Post a Comment