Monday, July 30, 2012

Vancouver, Eh!

Ken and I visited Vancouver, Canada, this past weekend! Since renewing our passports in May, we've been trying to find a time to visit this country, which is just shy of three hours by car from us. And last Tuesday, we found an amazing deal on Expedia's last-minute unpublished rates page in a 4-star hotel. (I don't think I've been in one like it since our honeymoon!) So, we decided to go for it. The resort featured a large indoor pool with a water slide and an awesome breakfast buffet, two big selling points for me. We really enjoyed this chance to relax, sight-see, bike around Stanley Park and find creative ways to go down the resort's water slide. 

Vancouver is an incredible city! From the moment we crossed the border last Friday morning, it felt like we were in a completely different country than America (which makes complete sense I guess--haha.) I wasn't expecting Canada's port city to feel so different than its US neighbor but all the subtle differences compound quickly. From the gas stations advertising their $1.87 (Canadian) per liter rate (which is really expensive compared to Seattle!) to the countless "Make Poutine Canada's National Dish!" posters ("poutine", according to my Canadian friend Sheri, is basically french fries covered in gravy and cheese curds), Canada was quite the culture shock to me. 

At times, I felt like I was back home in Hawaii, with its stunning water views and lush mountain slopes. The salty sea breeze and friendly demeanor of the city's residents were welcome and inviting. I then felt confused as we walked through the streets of Vancouver, with its giant skyscrapers, a mix between NYC (which I've only seen in movies) and the "Matrix". I also asked Ken more than once if we were somewhere in Asia, since many citizens are Chinese and Korean. 

While in Vancouver, we ate some tasty sushi and visited various landmarks around town. I'm already looking forward to our next visit, whenever that happens. (I also want to make it farther east, to the small town of Alberta, where my friend lives. I promise to try poutine when I'm there.) Here are some photos of our trip!
















No comments:

Post a Comment