Tuesday, December 18, 2012

DIY Christmas Gifts: The Art of Presentation

"It's all about presentation, Maile," my Dad lovingly shared with me one day, while I playfully arranged his dinner creation of noodles, chicken, fish sauce, and sauteed vegetables on the plates set before me. "You have a real gift for making things look nice," my Dad continued.

I recount my father's encouragement with a smile that quickly lights up my face. His words and that memory have stuck with me these 18 years later. I'm thankful that my Dad taught me the value of working hard and giving your best, which through the years has translated to my love for presentation--in dress and style, crafting and creating elaborate baked goods, and decorating spaces, from my college dorm room to the current one-bedroom apartment I share with my husband. My passion for beauty runs deep and is best seen in my knack for party and wedding planning, photography and picking out the perfect gift for another, along with arranging simple meals in a lovely fashion. My Dad especially can attest to that one.

With that said, I wanted to share some of my recent DIY ("do-it-yourself" if you're reading this, Dad) Christmas gifts, which includes baked goods galore and one of my most favorite crafts--clothespin magnets! I happened upon this idea about a year ago while perusing a little boutique shop on my native island of Maui. The owner had used clothespins to hang photos throughout her shop and I decided that I wanted to take the idea one step farther and turn them into magnets. My secret to success: exquisite patterns and colors taken from magazine cutouts and epoxy--lots and lots of epoxy. (Note: Please use gloves if you decide to make your own. Epoxy is rather toxic if it gets into your skin.) I also crafted smaller magnets by cutting up a vintage holiday postcard a dear friend mailed me last year. In my baked goods section, you'll notice one of my recent finds--small burlap bags! I just love them. Thankfully, I have a few floral stamps on hand for occasions such as this, so I stamped the mini burlap sacks and filled them with treats for two of my friend's birthday presents. The creative packaging was received quite well. Feel free to make your own. All you need are mini burlap bags (http://www.ps-stores.com) and a stamp and ink pad. Be careful to let the sacks dry before use.

I hope you enjoy these photos of my recent creations.
Here's to homemade and handmade gifting!

Christmas Cookie Package 

Treat Tags included in each cookie package

Clothespin Magnets!

Vintage Postcard Cut-out Magnets!

Side view of Clothespin Magnets

Homemade Raspberry-Blueberry Jam

Homemade Apple Spice Granola

Peanut Butter Cookies with dark chocolate and sprinkles

Peanut Butter Blossoms 

Cookie Packages are piling up!

Burlap Sack Goody Bags

I fit a lot inside these Goody Bags!

Chocolate-dipped Shortbread Cookies with Peppermint Bark 

More cookies!

Hooray for cute treat bags!

Filling up the adorable Gingerbread House gift box!

Back view of the Gingerbread House gift box

Front view of the Gingerbread House gift box


And if you've read this far, here's a photo of our adorable little Christmas tree with some of these gifts now hidden underneath. ;)


2 comments:

  1. Cute clothespin idea! And the cookies look yummy! We have a whole bunch of treats waiting to be eaten by you all when you get here! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! I'm so excited to eat treats and sip hot cocoa (and build robots). :)

      Delete