Monday, October 28, 2013

Tackling Bear Mountain

Scrambled eggs with zucchini, onion, and aged sharp cheddar, alongside wedges of what was a giant whole wheat cinnamon roll fresh from the bread shop. When Ken and I started our Saturday morning with such a delicious (and substantial) brunch menu, I knew that the day was bound to be memorable. The temperature outside hovered around freezing and the bright blue sky beckoned us outdoors. After compiling care packages to send to our friends overseas, Ken and I packed up our hiking gear: camelbacks, layers of clothes, and bear spray, along with our other essentials (afternoon tea and cookies, and fish-flavored treats for Gracie, my in-laws' border collie), we were ready for an adventure! We decided to tackle Bear Mountain, one of my husband's favorite hikes in Alaska. It's been two years since we first summited the mountain together and what a joy it was to reach the top again! Honestly, there were moments when I considered turning back, especially when I slipped and slid along the half-frozen mud patches and felt the weight of my backpack increasing exponentially as I gained altitude up the steep trail, but I disciplined myself to keep moving, one foot in front of the other. The view along the ridge line was spectacular, dappled with whispy wheat grass blowing in the breeze and dense clusters of wild blueberry and cranberry bushes lining our path. Although a cold wind greeted our arrival, we were prepared with snow pants and thick windbreakers, and were able to comfortably take in the beauty of the view. We had made it to the top! God reminded me through this tangible victory that He continues to give us strength for the journey ahead. Through persevering and trusting in His faithfulness, we will make it. God will give us the victory.

I hope you enjoy these photos from our hike!
(Click on each to enlarge.)

P.S. In case you missed it, here's a link to the recipe for Pumpkin Spice Chai Tea Cookies. We brought these on our hike and enjoyed them with warm cups of tea at the summit, around 3,000 ft above sea level. Feel free to enjoy them in the comfort of your own home at a normal elevation as well.


























No comments:

Post a Comment