Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Fall Favorite: Pumpkin Waffles!

Fall is here! And with the advent of this cooler weather here in Seattle, I took the plunge yesterday and incorporated pumpkin puree into my hearty waffle recipe. The rich and robust flavors of pumpkin make chilly and dark mornings quite bearable. Funny story: On our early morning walk to the grocery store yesterday, I asked my husband what we should do with our can of organic pumpkin we recently purchased. "Should I make pumpkin muffins or pumpkin waffles for breakfast?" I said, sharing my recipe ideas for both options. Ken instantly and matter-of-factly replied, "Pumpkin pie. Can I have pumpkin pie for breakfast?" I laughed, only because Ken was half-serious--this man loves pumpkin pie. He then settled on pumpkin waffles, his second choice. Here's the recipe I threw together quickly, so that Ken and I and my friend Amy who was visiting from LA, could enjoy a long, leisurely breakfast together on her last day in town. I hope you enjoy this as much as we did!

Easy Pumpkin Waffle Recipe
(Hearty and Rich)

Ingredients:
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. cinnamon
Pumpkin Puree, 15 oz can (I like to use Trader Joe's brand since they offer Organic, but Libby's is great, too!)
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. melted butter
1 c. plain greek yoghurt with 1 c. milk or soymilk (if you are omitting dairy, go ahead and use 2 cups total of soymilk)
2 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 tbsp. baking powder

Optional Toppings:
Walnuts
Bananas
Yoghurt
Whipped Cream
Maple Syrup
Apple or Pumpkin Butter

Directions:
Heat waffle iron.

In a large bowl, gently beat the eggs for a few seconds, being careful not to over mix. Stir in all remaining ingredients - the vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, pumpkin puree, brown sugar, melted butter, yoghurt, milk (or soymilk), flour and baking powder.

Follow waffle iron instructions for fill level and cook time. Serve waffles warm with optional toppings. I personally love a combination of walnuts, plain greek yoghurt, bananas, and either maple syrup or local honey. Mmmm! Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Yum! I think Ken should have gotten his pumpkin pie for breakfast... we had apple crisp one morning! ;)

    ReplyDelete