Thursday, January 15, 2015

Operation Nursery: Making Room for Baby

Our office is currently a disaster.

Wrapping paper shards, miscellaneous baby items, cardboard shipping boxes, and medical and bank statements haphazardly encompass the roughly 120-square foot room. Ken and I are in the beginning stages of what would seem like all-out-war to an average onlooker, albeit to us, it is merely the dawning of a new era in which our home office becomes the new nursery for baby girl, who is due in a couple short months. We hope to create a sweet space for her, one that she can grow into, and it begins with us clearing out lots of clutter and making room for the tiny human we get to care for in the years ahead.

I've always been fascinated with color palettes, DIY projects, and the practice of living simply by creating beauty through repurposed materials. For instance, the addition of fresh flowers or potted plants can do wonders for my mood. Likewise, I'm drawn to the playful feel of all-white walls with pops of color (think: turquoise, coral, mustard yellow, or burnt orange) interspersed as key visual elements (pillows, blankets, a chair or lamp). As I set about envisioning how I'd like to design baby girl's nursery, I'm slightly obsessed with the hope that I can create much of the artwork myself. Whether it be oil pastels on canvas or refinished furniture, I'm excited to try my hand at building a baby room that is both fun and functional. These next two months, I'm focused on crafting a space for baby and look forward to sharing photos and stories about my progress.

Tomorrow is my last day at my office job, and while I'm grappling with mixed feelings about saying goodbye to coworkers-turned-friends and the extra income my job supplies, I'm thankful that I have the opportunity to ease into motherhood and prepare for baby's arrival. What a blessing it will be to experience this next season, with the support of my husband and his family nearby. I'm still a bit nervous about the transition from two incomes to one, but I'm confident that God will provide for us - He always has. I'm reminded of the time God used a woman named Frannie to encourage Ken and me to not give up. That story is here. With her support, we were able to acquire the $10,000 that helped us make ends meet a couple years ago. There are so many stories like this one, where I can see God's faithfulness in our lives. I want to live in a state of hopeful anticipation, knowing that living on less opens my eyes to relying more on God's provision.

I suppose it's time for me to get back to cleaning the office. I've often found that sometimes laying a strong foundation starts with removing the clutter.

Breaking down to build up, afresh and anew.

No comments:

Post a Comment