Monday, February 6, 2012

Leek, Apple & Chicken Sausage Hand Pies!

I'd like to start this blog by mentioning that Ken likes pot pie, a lot. I first realized this toward the end of last year when we went out for a double date with some friends from our newlywed small group. The restaurant we visited featured individual pot pies and since I'm not as daring with "new" foods as Ken is, I ordered fish and chips. Big Mistake. His lamb curry pot pie was incredible. While digging into his deep dish crust in search of more curry, I thought to myself, "How do you make this? It seems so simple." And that's the extent of my thought at the time. I didn't venture into the unknown territory of pot-pie-making until yesterday.

But there are just a couple more details that lead me to the recipe I'll soon include. First of all, I wanted something portable so that Ken could take it to school or I could have it when I'm on the go. That made individual pot pies seem a little less appealing and much messier. And then I came across a hand pie recipe--think "Hot Pockets", online. I was intrigued by the photos of these personal pot pies, fully wrapped in their own dough. So naturally, with the ingredients currently in our fridge on my mind, I searched for more hand pie recipes. Since the exact recipe I wanted doesn't currently exist (or didn't until I made it), I partly based my hand pies off Martha Stewart's Kale & Sausage Hand Pie recipe and then used my own ingredients (whole wheat flour--plus a little more of it, leek instead of kale, the addition of some feta cheese, and chicken sausage instead of pork...) Oh, and I nixed the pepper.

I hope you enjoy these convenient meals/snacks on the go!

My Leek, Apple & Chicken Sausage Hand Pie Recipe:

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups whole wheat flour, plus more for rolling
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 cup ice water
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 4 chicken sausage links
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 green apple, cored and diced (I keep the skin on)
  • 1 large leek, leaves and stem coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 c. feta cheese
Directions
  1. In a food processor, pulse flour, butter, and salt until mixture resembles coarse meal. With machine running, sprinkle with 1/2 cup ice water; pulse just until dough holds together when squeezed (if necessary, add a little more water, 1 tablespoon at a time); try not to over mix. Form dough into a disk, wrap tightly in plastic, and refrigerate 30 minutes (or up to overnight).

  1. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Cook onions until translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Then set aside. While pan is hot, add a little more oil and cook the chopped leek until it is tender, about 8-10 minutes. Set aside. Then cook sausage for a few minutes before adding apple to the pan. Cook sausage until it is done and apple is tender. Remove from heat; combine sausage, apple, leek and onion in large bowl.

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to an 1/8-inch thickness. With a large round cookie cutter or small bowl, cut out eight 6- to 7-inch rounds (reroll scraps if necessary). Place 1-2 tablespoons of feta along with 1/2 cup leek mixture in center of each round. Fold over to make a half moon shape. Press edges with a fork to seal and then place pies on baking sheets. 

  1. Cut a small vent in each pie and bake until golden brown and crisp, 20 to 25 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Let cool slightly on a wire rack. Serve warm or freeze for easy meal on the go!







No comments:

Post a Comment