Sunday, February 19, 2012

An Organic Dilemma

I can see dusk approaching through our balcony windows, as I sit at Ken's desk contentedly finishing the last few bites of my organic pink lady apple. This pretty, pale rose-colored fruit lives up to its variety and I can't help but feel good about eating organic. Washing it beforehand came as an afterthought to me, since I've started assuming that anything organic doesn't really need to be scrubbed or washed, like the fruits and vegetables I used to stock up on at our local grocery store. It's funny isn't it, how subtly perspectives can shift if they go unchallenged...

I'd have to say that attending college in southern California opened my eyes to the wealth of organic, free-range, hormone-free products available at most stores. While the American culture is saturated with unhealthy images and products, it is also quite obsessed with health regimens. In watching multiple food documentaries over the years focusing on the topic of eating well, eating right and/or consuming certified-organic foods vs. not, I keep feeling like something is missing. And somehow, deep down, a couple weeks ago I started grappling with the issue of choosing organic and whether or not it is a sustainable endeavor, no matter how "conscientious" a pursuit it is.

For example, about a month and a half ago, Ken and I become members of an organic produce delivery service--a type of co-operative between farmers and consumers. Instead of buying non-organic produce mainly from Safeway or QFC, which I would do on a bi-weekly basis, we opted for a weekly subscription to organic fruit and vegetable delivery. We were generously blessed with a gift certificate to this particular co-op and after using up those funds, we decided to stick with the service. Honestly, I have really enjoyed our weekly deliveries. It's like Christmas all over again, as we pick up our box full of goodies from a nearby school each week. I love opening up packages just as much as Ken; it's like we're little kids receiving presents from a mysterious benefactor. The only catch is that we're paying for these "presents" and well, they don't really seem worth it all the time. I guess I'm just seeing how the two of us, Ken and me, are not at a place in life where we can afford to eat mostly (or all) organic produce. It's just too expensive for us. In comparing our produce delivery service to buying organic produce at our local grocery store, I'd have to say that it's a teensy bit cheaper for me to do the shopping myself. This isn't to say buying direct from farmers doesn't affect the product value--it really does, and I love that part. But, at the end of the day, or in our case, the end of the week or month in which our budget falls, we just can't consume as many fruits and vegetables as I would like if we are relying on a weekly delivery. I would rather make sure that our stomachs are full each week, with a satisfying array of both organic and non-organic apples, bananas, leeks, chard, spinach, carrots--you name it. I can choose to buy us a large supply of organic apples from the store when they're on sale and when they're not, I just have to make that decision based on our financial limitations. It's a "pick-and-choose" battle, but I think it's worth it. I've decided after much thought that I would rather have a bunch of fresh produce in our fridge each week (or even just enough for us to eat and be satisfied with) than to meticulously ration out my fruit and vegetable intake based on the allotted delivery each week that we can afford. 

All this to say, I wish that organic produce was available to the masses. I desire for more people in our city and country (and world) to have access to such good food. But right now, that's not a reality--for me and for many of my friends who can't financially support this kind of lifestyle. I would rather save some of our money to help others and to buy a house someday, for our future, and perhaps for a future where we can eat more organic produce. I know that ultimately, my health is in God's hands and I truly believe that my state of well-being or health is not contingent on whether I eat an organic diet. On that note, off I go to heat up a simple vegetable soup for our dinner meal. I'm leaning more toward simplicity as a way of life, than "organic."



1 comment:

  1. We had some of the same challenges with the cost of the produce. It usually came in pretty good shape, but they were quick to reimburse if something was spoiled and I let them know. Our current solution is to get 1 box a month, but I don't know if they still let people switch to that frequency of less than weekly. I keep meaning to do a cost comparison if I bought the same amount of organic produce at the local grocery store, but I haven't done that research project yet! I like your blog and your pictures too!

    ReplyDelete