Thursday, August 16, 2012

Boot Camp, Faith and Becoming a Woman of Grace

“What you are going to someday be, you are now becoming” – Jim McEachern

I keep mulling over those words this morning. It’s 8 a.m. and I just got back from a light jog around the surrounding neighborhoods. The cool, fresh morning breeze welcomed me outside and I could barely hear the drum of passing cars as my feet hit the ground. That’s one of the blessings of getting up early, I suppose, I get to “beat the traffic”.

As I ran up and down the residential streets near our apartment, I kept thinking about these words: “What you are going to someday be, you are now becoming.” Questions swiftly came to mind: “What does that mean?” and “Is who I am now an indicator of the habits I’m forming for my future?” I started to wonder about who I’ll be in 5, 10, 20 years. Will I still be jogging around neighborhoods? Will I be a good wife and parent? Will I be a loving, caring person who is open to correction and the power of humility? It’s funny how this phrase instantly transformed into a riddle for me—I wanted to “solve” the question and do it quickly, so I could push this particular phrase out of my mind. I guess a lot of things are like that for me. Instinctually, I want to set aside the discomfort of a difficult conversation and instead opt for passivity. Naturally, I’m inclined to reach for a sugary, comfort food over fresh, farm-grown vegetables. I think this is somehow related to the fact that I’m human but I don’t want to allow my fallen nature to ignore the bits of truth I come across daily. I don’t want to be subject to my appetites and desires. I want to pursue something greater and do that starting now, not later, not when it’s easy or convenient or perhaps, even makes the most sense. I would like to be the person I’m going to be someday, at this very moment in time.

Yesterday’s early morning workout was intense. But if I hadn’t gone to boot camp, I would’ve never come across that quote by McEachern. It was about 6:30 a.m. and after rounds of “Progressions”, as our classmate calls them, we ran up the stairs at Roosevelt High School to the stone courtyard overlooking the field. Between imaginary jump rope (the jump rope broke) and air punches, I glanced over at the high school’s beautiful picture windows. Through the clear glass panels, I could just barely make out the large lettering, since the sun was coming up fast and affecting the glare. “What you are to be someday, you are now becoming” it said in black san-serif typeface. The message resonated with me immediately. “What?” I thought, as I tried to pick up my pace for air punches per my classmate’s nudging. In the next minute, I quickly switched from hitting the air with forceful punches back to the imaginary jump rope exercise. I mumbled the phrase aloud to myself and then, feeling self-conscious, spoke louder so that my teammates could hear what I was saying. “Over on the wall it, uh, says a cool phrase,” I said and then repeated the quote to them. My fellow boot campers agreed that the quote was “neat” but I felt like the weight of it hit me the hardest. I shyly kept the remainder of my thoughts to myself and focused on the workout.

The past five weeks have been a whirlwind for me. In early July, one of my best friends visited from Canada. I hadn’t seen her for almost 7 years. I’m amazed that despite the distance, we’ve kept in touch through phone calls interspersed with handwritten or electronic mail. Our time together was truly special, filled with adventures around the city—a baseball game, hiking at the park, picnic lunches, homemade dinners, quality girl-time and lots of freebies. (If I were to add up how many unexpected “free” things we received that week, it would total about $275 or more.) God blessed us in surprising and sometimes hilarious ways, creating opportunities for us to do more than our limited means allowed. All that to say, in spending time with my dear friend I realized how much God is at work in her life, doing incredible things. I was encouraged by our deep conversations on faith and a future filled with hope.

The topics we discussed continued to take root in my thoughts the following week, as I started my boot camp class. I was nervous and intimidated the first few days at class but kept going. Pain—I felt lots of pain after each session, and in the days ahead, as my instructor challenged me to do my own personal best and “push past my comfort zone”. Classes brimmed with circuits, drills, sprints, and my very favorite—group games. I was amazed at how games like “freeze tag” and simple relays transformed into intense workouts, once pushups, jumping jacks and burpees were included. Each week I completed felt like a huge victory. I hadn’t pushed myself in such strenuous ways for years. The energy and excitement of working out on a team spired me on. My instructor and classmates encouraged me to become stronger by not giving up, especially when it was hardest. After my one month coupon for boot camp expired, I decided to stay in the class and God met me in that desire. God has used this class to cultivate rich confidence in me, regarding my own physical strength and ability to overcome fear. I’m impressed by how He’s creating opportunities for me to “push past my comfort zone” and step out in faith.

Faith. That word brings to mind so many different pictures—snapshots of a childhood marred by fear and insecurity but also strewn with incredible color, joy and beauty. A mixture of dark and light, despair and hope. Faith has been an emotionally charged word that has taken on varying meanings for me throughout my life. One constant remains throughout all my definitions and that has been my hope in God’s goodness. I have never let go of that hope, and that to me, is faith. Regarding that quote by McEachern, I believe in faith, that I have the ability to start practicing and living out the characteristics of a grace-filled woman, right now. I can choose the path of forgiveness when the road to bitterness and rage seems hopelessly enticing. I can be a wife who is generous, loving and patient. And a friend who asks nothing in return when met with utter selfishness. I have the means to live into the words that ‘who I am to someday be, I am now becoming.’ As I look toward the future, I recognize that I am a creature of habit. Although I easily lean toward unhealthy behaviors—in eating, exercise, and my attitude regarding myself and others, the way I challenge those beliefs now is setting a precedent for the future. I am not my past. I am part of a bigger picture, where God is “making all things new.”

Hallelujah.

No comments:

Post a Comment