Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Two Years in the Making

Today marks our second anniversary, and what a wonderful day it has been. Ken is working hard in the kitchen kneading a sticky loaf of dough. As I glance over, I notice the dark Kalamata olives peaking through the white bread base. Mmm. We are hosting our neighbors for an early dinner before we head to a ministry meeting at church. Our friends who live downstairs are moving out of the building in the next few days and we hoped that this meal would be a way to support them amidst the busyness of packing and relocating. Ken and I agreed that our homemade taco soup sounds rich and hearty, and the bread he's making will be just perfect in soaking up every drop of soup in our bowls.

In reflecting over these past two years of marriage, I can't help but smile and laugh. "Rich and hearty", just like the soup we're making, are apropos in describing our marriage and the journey that has brought us to this point. God has been at work in our lives and our marriage in ways nothing short of miraculous. I can't even put into words how much I love Ken--each day my love for him grows. It's hard to express the numerous quirks we have developed in being so close to each other, in proximity and in relationship--those little expressions and jokes that we indulge in daily. Brimming with adventures, big life changes (i.e. when I quit my job last summer to pursue something new, us moving to a new neighborhood closer to Ken's college, etc) and unexpected health and family issues, these last two years have been rich and also challenging. I suppose much of life's satisfaction is best enjoyed when you've worked hard to reap the fruit of your labor. That's what's marriage has taught me, in a sense. Love is worth fighting for, protecting, and pursuing. At times, Ken and I have walked through trials of misunderstanding each other or ourselves. In these situations, I've been humbled and challenged, as God uses our marriage to teach me how to love another person, including myself, well. Love is hard. But it's beautiful and substantial, if cultivated on "good soil." I'm reminded of Ephesians 4:1-2: "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love." I look forward in hope to the many years ahead, as Ken and I continue to seek Christ together, as teammates, allies and best friends.

Cheers.

Here are some snapshots of the past four years we've known each other: 
(More photos can be found on our Facebook Album)


















No comments:

Post a Comment