Thursday, August 30, 2012

Mango Muffins (Vegetarian & Dairy-Free!)

I'm not sure if I mentioned this to any of my readers but for the past few weeks, I have been trying to eat more meatless and dairy-free fare (including baked goods). Don't get me wrong--I'm not a hardcore vegan or even a self-proclaimed vegetarian (just yet), but after watching half a dozen or more documentaries on meat production in the US, the benefits of plant-based diets, and seeing firsthand how allergic I am to dairy products, I'm trying to cut back on the foods that negatively affect my overall wellness. And per my fitness instructor's encouragement, I've been consuming much more protein and fresh vegetables and fruits than ever before--it's just more soy, nut and bean protein and the veggies and fruits are darker ones, like kale and rainbow chard and blueberries. This recipe I crafted a few days ago incorporates ripe mango, banana and a combination of applesauce and coconut oil (as a dairy substitute.) I hope you will try this recipe for a scrumptious breakfast side or late afternoon snack. My secret ingredient, as always, is lots of love (and being careful not to overmix!) Enjoy. 


Mango Muffins with Banana


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

2 eggs
1/3 cup applesauce
2 tbsp. coconut oil
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup mashed ripe banana (about 1 large, ripe banana)
1/2 cups chopped walnuts (optional)
1 large ripe mango, peeled and chopped (or mushed, if overripe)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a medium size bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, and cinnamon together. Set aside.

In another bowl, beat the eggs and combine applesauce, coconut oil, sugar and vanilla extract. Stir until combined. Gently stir in the mashed banana, walnuts and mango.

Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients and carefully mix together, gently breaking up any big chunks with your spatula. Batter will still be slightly lumpy--not to worry.

Fill each muffin cup 3/4 full with batter. Bake for 12-15 minutes, checking for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center. When the toothpick comes out clean, your muffins are ready! (Note: if you stick the toothpick into a piece of mango, that may throw off your results. Go ahead and prick the muffin cup a second time in another place, just to be sure.) Makes 12-15 muffins.




No comments:

Post a Comment